I can’t imagine how the rest of the Bulls are dealing with it, but I’m not so good.
Derrick Rose getting injured again and being out for the rest of the year spells disaster for the Bulls.
Let me explain what I mean:
- We all saw that this team can win games without Derrick as he was out all of last year. Fine. But they don’t have a legit, get your own shot or create for others closer. Deng is fine during the game, but in an end of game situation we all saw what happens vs. NO last night. Turnovers, bad passes, losses. We don’t have a legit scorer in the post, and lost Nate Robinson, who was probably our best creator after rose.
- This is especially going to be evident in any playoff series. If the Bulls make the playoffs they will undoubtedly take on either the Heat or the Pacers which is a large order even with Rose in the lineup. Now, there is no way the Bulls could top either of those teams, especially in a 7 game series.
- The Bulls can win games without Rose! This is a huge problem. Thibodeau is a dang good coach. The Bulls are a blue collar, hardworking, proud bunch. They are going to win their share of games this year. If they make the playoffs I doubt they get past round one. But, that also mean that they will get a draft pick like Snell all over again. There are almost never any game changing picks beyond pick 10. Maybe not even that far. So when the Bulls get to pick around 18-19 there will be no one there for them.
- You can no longer put all your eggs in the Rose basket. One knee injury, ok we’ll give a year and expect that he can come back full strength. But another season ending knee injury? This is turning into a problem. Especially for someone who plays like D. Rose. He plays with no fear. Jumps into guys who are twice his size and gets banged around all over the place. He is going to have injuries throughout his career and if the Bulls continue to be a middle of the pack team then they will never get another superstar to compliment Rose.
- Not only can we not draft a star player, but the management has shown little competency in the free agent market. In the year of Lebron and Bosh, we signed Boozer and paid him MORE than James. The past couple of years we have sign Hinrich and Dunlevy. meanwhile other big markets have stolen free agents from out of the collective Chicago franchise’s nose. We may need to be willing to part with some of our lovable parts in order to return to championship form.
It is tough for me to see my team in this position. I hate that I am calling for trades or (Gasp!) tanking and getting a good draft pick. All I know is that we need to shake some things up to get where we want to be. I don’t think D. Rose as a superstar to build around is a viable option because of the injuries.
As long as we are dependent on Derricks health, we may have to suffer through a lot of disappointment.